Tomb of Ptahemwia (found in 2007)
Ptahemwia performed the high court function of ‘Royal Butler, Clean of Hands' during the reigns of the pharaohs Akhenaten and Tutankhamun
(1353-1323 BC). In that capacity, Ptahemwia was not only responsible for serving the pharaoh food and drink but also for the supply to the court of all kinds of other commodities. His tomb is located directly to the east of that of Meryneith . Its exact position had hitherto been unknown, although the existence of the complex could be derived from two loose finds: an inscribed limestone pilaster in the Museo Civico Archeologico
of Bologna (KS 1891) and an inscribed jamb fragment in the Cairo Museum (JE 8383).
The tomb was obviously never finished, and it is still unclear whether Ptahemwia died prematurely or fell out of grace. His name, ‘the god Ptah sits in his barque', may have had a negative effect on his career. Ptah was the city god of the Egyptian capital Memphis, and, like the other gods, was pushed aside by Akhenaten. Ptahemwia's tomb was plundered in antiquity and later revisited by art robbers in the 19th century. It was rediscovered and fully excavated in 2007 and 2008.