2017 Digging Diaries
The Dutch-Italian excavation team will be in Saqqara from 15 March to 27 April. The plans for fieldwork are as follows:
- To clear the area to the north of the tomb of Maya & Merit.
- To finalize the clearance of the area south of the tomb of Meryneith.
- To continue clearance between the anonymous chapel (Tomb X) and the tomb of Sethnakht further east, including the subterranean chambers of the new shaft found in 2015.
- To consolidate the superstructure of Tomb X, followed by backfilling (for optimal protection).
- To continue the study and photography of reliefs, pottery and bones found at previous seasons, including some blocks and objects currently in the Imhotep Museum storerooms.
- Training of two young inspectors on the site.
New Digging Diaries will be added on the following dates:
|- March 17||- April 7|
|- March 22 and March 23
||- April 14 (Good Friday)|
|- March 31||- April 21|
Shorter announcements will be posted on our Facebook page.
The excavation partners will also post regular updates: